Sunday, November 16, 2008

Peer pressure in our 50s? Really?

Why do we still succumb to peer pressure in our 40s, 50, 60s, etc.? You'd think we'd be beyond that by now.

A couple years ago, a former coworker said to me "you'd look ten years younger if you colored your hair". At first I was unaffected by her comment. But it silently began to eat away at me. A couple months later, I went to the hair stylist for a hair cut. She said "hey, why don't you do some lowlights and that will cover up some of this gray?" YES, I said, let's do it! I gave in. I caved. Yes, I wanted to look 10 years younger.

WHY? Why did I want look ten years younger? It was nice for a while. Fun. Afterall, I looked ten years younger! Many people commented on how fabulous my hair looked and how good it was to get rid of the gray.

WHY? Why is it good to get rid of the gray? I agreed with them at the time, but now I'm not sure. Why do people feel it's ok to comment about your gray hair and that you should get rid of it.

Our culture is very youth oriented. It is time we say no. We can look our age, our hair can be the color it naturally is, our bodies can look the way they naturally look. We can be more comfortable. There are many more important things to worry about in the world than what color our hair is.

No comments: